There are several reports out today (here and here) that the name of the Oklahoma City’s new NBA franchise will be announced next week. The NBA team formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics will have a new name, colors, and logo.
The first clues of the proposed name for the new team came from several intent-to-use trademark applications filed by The Professional Basketball Club, LLC on July 25, 2008 for each of the names being considered (one application for various services related to basketball exhibitions and the second for clothing):
- OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER (Tornadoes would have been more appropriate -- those familiar with Oklahoma City know what I’m talking about)
- OKLAHOMA CITY ENERGY (sounds like the local power company)
- OKLAHOMA CITY WIND (sort of a reference to Tornadoes)
- OKLAHOMA CITY BARONS (oil barons?)
- OKLAHOMA CITY BISON (when you think of basketball, do you think of buffaloes?)
- OKLAHOMA CITY MARSHALLS (hmmm...)
Thunder is reportedly the favorite.
Sportsline has a thread of recommended names from fans with good senses of humor. One that I particularly liked and which fits with my tornado theme above – Oklahoma City Cyclones.
I guess no one considered the Oklahoma City Okies.